COVID-19 fears have amped up efforts not only to protect one’s health, but also to safeguard shuttered properties, businesses and schools. Consequently, demand for private security services and security guards have spiked during the pandemic, according to The Business Journal.
For example, after initially hiring 10,000 security guards at the pandemic’s start, Securitas North America recently announced a second round of hiring to fill positions in healthcare, hospitality, retail and other sectors. The company even held a series of drive-through job fairs.
When COVID-19 first hit, the National Association of Security Companies (NASCO) estimated that more than one million private security officers worked in the United States. This private security workforce outnumbered public law enforcement personnel by a margin of more than two to one, NASCO said.
Not since 9/11 has the security industry experienced such a surge in business, said the president of a California-based security contractor.
Guard’s New Job Description
Besides creating a hiring surge, the pandemic has dramatically altered expectations of a security guard’s duties. Instead of silently monitoring in the background, today’s security guard might don PPE and wield a temperature gun as part of a client’s COVID-19 screening program. Responsibilities may also run to enforcing social distancing rules, the wearing of masks, and other health requirements. That mean’s today’s guards face more risk and confrontation, a consideration during the hiring process.
In general, candidates for security services positions must meet the following requirements:
- Be over the age of 18 and a U.S. citizen
- Present a solid employment history and work references
- Have not been convicted of a crime
- Undergo a background check and submit to fingerprinting
- Submit to pre- and/or post-hire employer drug testing
Mobile Health Pre-Employment Screening
For security companies and other staffing agencies facing a hiring surge, Mobile Health expedites pre-employment screening of job candidates. Choose from 15+ background checks and customizable drug testing panels, among other services, and get results fast. Clients can schedule next-day appointments at 2,700+ convenient locations in New York and nationwide.
Service highlights for staffing agencies:
- We provide the fastest, most accurate and most complete background reports available. These include criminal records as well as educational, employment and professional license verification.
- Our drug testing solutions span the pre-employment drug test to the return-to-duty drug test.
- 24/7 digital access to test results and reports from our online Client Portal hasten your hiring decisions.
Speedy, client-driven and flexible service. That’s the Mobile Health Advantage.
For 35+ years, we’ve provided pre-employment and occupational health services for staffing agencies across the business spectrum. Contact Mobile Health today and we’ll design a proposal to help you over the hiring hurdle and fill open positions faster. Additionally, our COVID-19 Return to Work program offers turn-key solutions for the security industry.