DOT Physical Medial Examination
DOT Medical Examiners
Mobile Health staffs only certified DOT medical examiners who perform DOT physicals for employment. Our medical examiners are available for both pre-employment exams as well as annual health screenings. During the physical visit, the driver has the option to have a DOT drug test performed as well on the same day.
Individual truck drivers who need a CDL physical can request an appointment as needed. Fleet managers and trucking companies who would like to manage their employee’s compliance records with Mobile Health can request a free quote to get set-up with an account.
For most truck drivers with a commercial driver’s license (CMV), a DOT physical examination is required on a regular basis to continue driving certain commercial vehicles. This physical exam is especially important for truck drivers whose job depend on a valid CDL with up to date exams.
For new truckers who are training for a CDL test or enrolled in truck driving school, it is highly recommended that they get their DOT exams and drug tests right after graduation to avoid any employment delays.
Companies with drivers who fall under the Department of Transportation’s (“DOT”) oversight have specific industry requirements such as a DOT physical. These physicals must be performed by a DOT approved medical examiner, and have specific requirements and standards. Failure to follow DOT compliance requirements may result in fines and temporary work stoppage.
Mobile Health’s experience in occupational health allows it to be part of your company’s one-stop-shop for all your hiring needs. Mobile Health’s DOT approved physical is just part of our suite of services available such as drug screening and background checks.
Starting on May 21 2014, the Department of Transportation (DOT) and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) are requiring DOT exams to be performed by a certified medical examiner. A certified medical examiner can be found on the FMCSA’s National Registry.
Whereas in the past most licensed health care professionals were able to perform and evaluate DOT exams, this new policy requires that the health care professional attend a training course and pass an exam to earn certification. Those who don’t will not be able to perform DOT exams.
As a regional provider of DOT exams and DOT drug testing, Mobile Health is in the process of certifying medical examiners to perform DOT exams in every location in New York City and Hempstead, NY.
When visiting Mobile Health, our medical examiner will review the DOT health regulations to evaluate the drive and make sure that they meet the required standards. According to DOT regulation 49 CFR Part 391.41 Physical qualifications for drivers section 3, A person is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle if the driver if evaluated by a certified medical examiner for the the following:
- Has not lost a foot, left, hand or arm, unless skill performance evaluation certificate applies
- Has no impairment of hand or finger to prevent grabbing
- Has no limb defect, limitation or abnormality that interferes with the ability to operate a commercial motor vehicle
- Has no history or current diabetes mellitus currently requiring insulin for control
- Has no current cardiovascular disease
- Has no respiratory dysfunction
- Has no current diagnosis of high blood pressure
- Has no history or current diagnosis of vascular disease
- Has no history or current diagnosis of epilepsy or other condition likely to cause loss of ability to control a commercial motor vehicle
- Has no psychiatric disorder
- Has at least distant vision of 20/40, field of vision of at least 70 degrees and ability to recognize colors of traffic signals
- Can perceive a forced whisper in the better ear not less than 5 feet away
- Is free of illicit drug use
- Has no current diagnosis of alcoholism
When a patient comes to Mobile Health for a DOT health exam, our medical examiner will use the above requirements to conduct a series of tests and exams that evaluate the driver’s health.